Elecbyte in 2009.09.22 released M.U.G.E.N
- Added high-definition (HD) graphical support.
- Any arbitrary resolution or aspect ratio can be set. For best compatibility, we recommend using 640×480, 1280×720 or 1920×1080.
- 1280×720 set as the new default resolution. This can be changed with the GameWidth and GameHeight parameters in mugen.cfg.
- Characters’ target resolution can be set with the localcoord parameter in the character def file. An alternative, which affects sprites only, is to set smaller xscale and yscale parameters in the constants section of a character’s CNS files.
- Stages’ target resolution can also be set with the localcoord parameter in the stage def file.
- Characters, stages and motifs made for different resolutions can still interoperate with each other.
- Added localization support.
- Preferred language can be set in mugen.cfg
- Added sound and text support to storyboards.
- New sprite file format: SFF v2.
- Multiple palette support.
- Support for realtime compressed sprites to reduce memory usage.
- New format for FNT.
- Bitmap fonts now based on SFF v2.
- Supports Truetype fonts.
- UTF-8 text support (Truetype only).
- Text can be quoted in order to use escape sequences, e.g. \n for a line break: “line1\nline2″
- CNS: New triggers.
- AILevel: returns the AI difficulty setting.
- CNS: Added [Quotes] group to constants.
- CNS: New controllers.
- VictoryQuote: Selects a quote for the victory screen.
- Stages: StageInfo: New parameters:
- xscale, yscale: Specifies the drawing scale of the stage.
- overdrawhigh, overdrawlow: Specifies the number of pixels of extra drawing beyond the top and bottom of the screen.
- cuthigh, cutlow: Suggests the number of pixels that can be cut from the top and bottom of the screen when playing in a shorter game aspect than the stage was designed for. cutlow especially will be useful for making 4:3 stages look better when viewed in 16:9.
- Motifs: Victory screen definition can be added to system.def. See [Victory Screen] and [VictoryBG] groups.
- Characters may use sprite 9000,2 for the victory screen.
- Motifs: system.def and fight.def font parameters standardized to take alignment and RGB color values. See font notes at end of fight.def.
- Motifs: common1.cns can now be included with motifs.
- Motifs: system.def: [VS Screen]: For consistency, changed pX.pos and pX.name.pos to pX.offset and pX.name.offset (.pos is deprecated but will still work).
- Storyboards: Added sound playback and text display capability.
- New tool: sprmake2 – Generates sff v2 files; replaces sprmaker.
- Enhanced sprite and palette manipulation options.
- fntmaker tool deprecated; use fnt v2 def files instead.
- CNS: Fixed: HitDef P1 pausetimes expired 1 tick sooner than specified. When loading 2002.04.14 and older characters, this fix will be compensated for by subtracting 1 from the P1 pausetime after expression evaluation.
- CNS: Fixed incorrect computation results using the ** operator.
- Motifs: fight: Fixed issue where power bar anims get out of sync with each other.
- Base engine ported from Allegro to use SDL. There may be some minor differences, such as a change in audio volumes.
- See readme.txt for known issues.
- To update a character from 2002.04.14 to 1.0, add 1 to the value of the P1 parameter of all HitDef pausetimes. Then set mugenversion = 1.0 in the player’s def file.